Andrei Chikatilo
Andrei Romanovich Chikatilo (Russian: Андре́й Рома́нович Чикати́ло; October 16, 1936 — February 14, 1994) was a Russian serial killer,
nicknamed the Butcher of Rostov, The Red Ripper or The Rostov Ripper. He was convicted of the murders of 52 women and children, mostly in
Rostov Oblast, Russian SFSR, between 1978 and 1990 (some victims were murdered in other regions of Russia and in Ukrainian and Uzbek.)
Early life
the Red Army. Chikatilo had to share a bed with his mother. He was a chronic bed wetter throughout his childhood, and was beaten by his
mother for each offense.

The war years were traumatic ones for Chikatilo. During the Ukrainian famine, Stalin forced Ukrainian farmers to hand in their entire crop for
his older brother Steppan had been kidnapped and cannibalized by starving neighbors; it has never been independently established
whether this actually happened. During the war, Chikatilo witnessed some of the effects of Blitzkrieg, which both frightened and excited
him. In 1949, Chikatilo's father, who had been captured by Nazi soldiers, returned home. Instead of being rewarded for his war service, he
impotence, worsening his social awkwardness and self-hatred.
Chikatilo with wife and
daughter 1969
Chikatilo was an extraordinary student, and set his sights on Moscow State University, where he hoped to achieve a law degree. Chikatilo
failed the entrance exam, however. After finishing his mandatory military service in 1960, he moved to Rodionovo-Nesvetayevsky and
sister's friend) and wrestled her to the ground, ejaculating as the girl struggled in his grasp.
In 1963, Chikatilo married a woman to whom he was introduced by his younger sister. The couple had a son
and daughter. Chikatilo later claimed that his marital sex life was minimal and that he would ejaculate on his
wife and push the semen inside her vagina with his fingers. In 1965, their daughter Ludmila was born,
correspondence course and tried a career as a teacher in Novoshakhtinsk. His career ended after several
complaints of child molestation. He eventually took a job as a clerk for a factory.complaints of child molestation.
He eventually took a job as a clerk for a factory.
was only able to achieve sexual arousal and orgasm through stabbing and slashing women and children to death. Despite evidence linking
tried and confessed under torture. He was sentenced to 15 years of imprisonment (the maximum possible length of imprisonment at that
time). He was retried under pressure from the victim's relatives, and eventually executed for the crime.

Chikatilo committed his next murder in September 1981, when he tried to have sex with a 17-year-old boarding school student named
Larisa Tkachenko in a forest. When Chikatilo failed to achieve an erection, he became furious and stabbed and strangled her to death.
The adult Chikatilo did not murder again until June 1982, but by December that year he had killed seven females were often prostitutes or
homeless women who could be lured with promises of alcohol times. He established a pattern of approaching runaways and young lured
with promises of alcohol or money. Chikatilo would typically attempt intercourse with his adult female victims, but he would usually
homeless women who could be lured with promises of alcohol times. He established a pattern of approaching runaways and young
vagrants at bus or railway stations, enticing them to a nearby forest, and killing them. He did not kill again until June 1983, but he killed be  
lured with promises of alcohol or money. Chikatilo would typically attempt intercourse with his adult female victims, but he would usually
vagrants at bus or railway stations, enticing them to a nearby forest, and killing them. He did not kill again until June 1983, but he killed be
unable to get an erection, which would send him into a murderous fury, particularly if the woman mocked his impotence. He would four
before September. These victims were all women or children. The adult females were often prostitutes or homeless women who could
achieve orgasm only when he stabbed the victim to death. His child victims were of both sexes; Chikatilo would lure them to secluded
areas by promising them assistance, toys or candy.
Six bodies had been linked to the investigation by 1983. A Moscow police team, headed by Major Mikhail Fetisov, was sent to Victor
Burakov, to head the investigation. The police effort concentrated on mentally ill citizens and known sex offenders, slowly working through
all that were known and eliminating them from the inquiry. A number of young men confessed to the murders, although they were usually
mentally handicapped youths who had admitted to the crimes only under prolonged and often brutal interrogation. One under-age
homosexual suspect committed suicide in his detention cell. By September 1984, another 15 murders took place. The police began
additional patrols and posted plain-clothes men at many public transport stops.
Arrest and release
On 13 September 1984, Chikatilo was observed by an undercover detective attempting to lure young women away from a Rostov bus
station.[5] He was arrested and held. A search of his belongings revealed a knife and rope.[6] He was also discovered to be under
investigation for minor theft at one of his former employers, which gave the investigators the legal right to hold him for a prolonged period
of other matters and sentenced to one year in prison. He was freed in December 1984, after serving just three months.
Murders and manhunt
Chikatilo found new work in Novocherkassk and kept a low profile. He did not kill again until August 1985, when he murdered two women in
separate incidents. He is not known to have killed again until May 1987 when, on a business trip to Revda in Ukraine, he killed a young boy.
He killed again in Zaporozhye in July and in Leningrad in September.

The police investigation was revived in mid-1985 when Issa Kostoyev was appointed to take over the case. The known murders around
Rostov were carefully re-investigated and there was another round of questioning of known sex offenders. In December 1985, the police
renewed the patrolling of railway stations around Rostov. Chikatilo followed the investigation carefully, and for over two years, he kept his
desires under control. The police also took the step of consulting a psychiatrist named Bukhanovsky, the first such consultation in a serial
killer investigation in the Soviet Union.[7]

In 1988, Chikatilo resumed killing, generally keeping his activities far from the Rostov area. He murdered an unidentified woman in
Krasny-Sulin in April and two boys in May and July. In 1989, Chikatilo killed five times between March and August. Again, there was a long
lapse before Chikatilo resumed killing, murdering seven boys and two women between January and November 1990.

The discovery of more victims led a massive operation by the police. A part of the operation involved a large number of the force patrolling
train and bus stations as well as other public places around Rostov area. Major bus and train stations were patrolled by the police force
wearing uniforms. Smaller and less busy stations were patrolled by undercover agents. The intention was to discourage the killer from
frequenting the larger train and bus stations, where activities would be more likely to be noticed. This would force the killer to hunt at
smaller stations, where the presence of police was not apparent. The operation also involved a large number of young female agents
dressed like prostitutes or homeless people. They kept wandering aimlessly in and around stations as well as traveling extensively along
the routes where dead bodies were found.

On 6 November 1990, Chikatilo killed and mutilated Sveta Korostik. While leaving the crime scene, he was stopped by an undercover
policeman who was patrolling the Leskhoz train station and saw Chikatilo approaching from the woods. According to the policeman, he
looked suspicious. The only reason for someone to go into the woods at that time of year was to gather wild mushrooms (a popular
pastime in Russia). However, Chikatilo was not dressed like a typical forest hiker. He was wearing more formal attire. Moreover, he had a
nylon sports bag, which was not suitable for carrying mushrooms. His clothing was dirty and he had what looked like smeared blood stains
on his cheek and ear. The policeman stopped Chikatilo and checked his papers. Having no formal reason for arrest, Chikatilo was not held.
Had Chikatilo's bag been checked, he would have found the amputated breasts of Sveta Korostik. When the policeman came back to his
office, he filed a formal routine report, indicating the name of the person he stopped at the train station. Shortly after the encounter, the
police found two dead bodies, 30 feet apart, near the train station in Leskhoz. It was determined that one of the victims was killed around
the date of the police report filed about this suspicious man near the Leskhoz station. It was the second time Chikatilo was indirectly
associated with a murder of a child (the first one was in 1978, when a witness reported seeing a man whose description matched Chikatilo
with a girl who was later found dead).
Arrest and confession
Even after the incident, the police still did not have enough evidence for arrest and prosecution. Chikatilo was put on a round-the-clock
watch by the police. He was constantly followed and videotaped by undercover agents. On November 20, 1990, Chikatilo left his house with
a one gallon flask for beer. Chikatilo wandered around the city, attempting to make contact with children he met on his way. Finally, he
entered a small cafe where he bought 300 ml of beer. His behavior toward the children triggered the decision to arrest him when he exited
the cafe.
Again, the police had ten days to either charge Chikatilo with the murders or to let him go. Upon arrest, the police uncovered
between the victim and his murderer. One of Chikatilo’s fingers had a flesh wound. Medical examiners concluded
another piece of evidence against Chikatilo. One of his last victims was a physically strong (although mentally the
wound was, in fact, from a human bite. Although a finger bone was later found to be broken, Chikatilo never
sought medical attention for the wound.

The strategy chosen by the police force to make him confess included one of the chief interrogators telling Chikatilo
that they all believed he was a very sick man and needed medical help. The strategy was to give Chikatilo hope
that if he confessed, he would not be prosecuted by reason of insanity. Nine days went by without a true
confession of his crimes, only vague hints and evasions. Finally Bukhanovsky was invited to assist in questioning
prosecute him.
Interrogators still needed hard evidence. Chikatilo volunteered to provide evidence, showing buried
bodies that the police had not yet discovered. That gave investigators sufficient evidence to prosecute. Between November 30 and
December 5, Chikatilo confessed to and described 56 murders. Three of the victims had been buried and could not be found or identified.
The number of crimes Chikatilo confessed to shocked the police, who had listed only 36 killings in their investigation. A number of victims
had not been linked to the others because they were murdered far from Chikatilo's other hunting grounds, while others were not linked
because they were buried and not found until Chikatilo led the police to their shallow graves.
Trial and execution
trial on April 14, 1992. Despite his odd and disruptive behavior in court, he was judged fit to stand trial.
During the trial he was kept in an iron cage in the center of the courtroom; it was constructed for his
protection from courtroom observers. Relatives of victims shouted threats and insults to Chikatilo,
demanding the authorities to release him so that they could execute him on their own. There were many
incidents of relatives fainting when the names of the victims were mentioned. Chikatilo made many ludicrous
statements; on some occasions, he announced he was pregnant or was being radiated or lactated. Twice,
he dropped his pants and exposed his genitals, shouting that he was not a homosexual. He denied some
murders for which he had already confessed. On the last day of the trial, he broke into song and had to be
removed from the courtroom. When offered a final opportunity to speak, he remained silent.
The trial ended in July and sentencing was postponed until October 15 when he was found guilty of 52 of the 53 murders and sentenced to
death for each offense. Judge Leonid Akhobzyanov made the following speech:
“         Taking into consideration the monstrous crimes he committed, this court has no alternative but to impose the only sentence that he
deserves. I therefore sentence him to death.         ”

After hearing the sentence, the audience, made up of victim's families, broke into applause. When given a chance to speak, Chikatilo
delivered a rambling speech, blaming the regime, certain political leaders, his impotence (even removing his trousers at one point) and
defending himself by blaming his childhood experiences during the famine in Ukraine in the 1930s. At one point he claimed that he had done
a favor to society by cleansing it of "worthless people". Chikatilo was seen saying something as police removed him from his iron cage and
led him away.

On January 4, 1994, Russian President Boris Yeltsin refused a last ditch appeal for clemency. On February 14, Chikatilo was taken to a
soundproofed room in Novocherkassk prison and executed by a single gunshot behind the right ear.
Serial killer, Andrei Chatilo, A.K.A. Rostov Ripper
Copyright 2012 More Than Horror. All rights reserved
Horror Shopping
Free Movies
Short Stories
Disturbing nature
Serial killers
Gothic Cloth
Free horror movies
Short Scary stories
Paranormal events
Weird nature facts
Serial killer bios
Killer psychology
Horror Cloth
Free t.v. shows
Ghost videos
Crime scene photos
Haunted locations
Halloween Costumes
Scary Home Decor
Aliens and legends
Disturbing Horror home
Twitter logo link
FaceBook logo link YouTube logo link
Shop Horror Stores
Free Movies
Serial Killers
Disturbing Nature
Short Stories